Chinese Government Scholarship
Undergraduate and graduate students are invited to apply for a Chinese Government Scholarship for the study of Chinese language and culture or pursue a degree in same in China during the 2017-2018 academic year at one of 279 approved universities (A List of Chinese Institutions Admitting International Students under Chinese Government Scholarship Scheme).
Application Deadline: February 15, 2017.
This scholarship is administered by the China Scholarship Council (CSC) in Beijing, China.
Full Scholarship covers:
- Tuition waiver
- Accommodation: free university dormitory or accommodation subsidy
- Stipend: CNY 2,500/month for undergraduate students and CNY 3,000/month for graduate students
- Medical insurance against disease and accidents
The scholarship does not cover international airfare or the small fee charged by the University of Kansas Study Abroad Office. The SAO fee (approximately $1,120) covers KU foreign study enrollment fees, emergency medical evacuation and repatriation insurance, and KU orientation.
- Currently enrolled in a degree program, either undergraduate or graduate, at the University of Kansas
- Completion (or completing) first-year Chinese. Preference will be given to applicants with two years of Chinese language training or more.
- GPA of 3.25 or higher.
- U.S. citizenship and not a native speaker of Chinese.
Chinese government requirements:
Successful applicants will be required to have
- Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship (in Chinese or English)
- Notarized highest diploma (photocopy)
- Academic transcripts
- A study plan or research proposal
- Recommendation letters
- Physical examination and complete a “Foreigner Physical Examination Form, which must be signed by a physician
- Applicants under the age of 18 should submit the valid documents of their legal guardians in China
Complete the attached application form and return with the following material to the Center for East Asian Studies, Room 200 Bailey Hall, by Feb. 15, 2017.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- A short essay outlining your study or research plan (At least 200 words for undergraduates; 400 words for graduate students.) Explain why you want to go to China to study language and culture. State specifically what you want to study and accomplish. Indicate how this year of study will fit into your undergraduate or graduate program and move you closer to your career goals.
- An official copy of your KU transcript. (A successful undergraduate applicant may be asked to submit an official high school transcript too, but it is not required for this application.)
- Fill out the Application Form.
Application deadline: February 15, 2017
Call or email
Jun Fu, 864-3857