College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
  • Home
  • Chinese Government Scholarship

Chinese Government Scholarship

Undergraduate and graduate students are invited to apply for a Chinese Government Scholarship for the study of Chinese language and culture or pursue a degree in same in China during the 2017-2018 academic year at one of 279 approved universities (A List of Chinese Institutions Admitting International Students under Chinese Government Scholarship Scheme).

Application Deadline: February 15, 2017.

This scholarship is administered by the China Scholarship Council (CSC) in Beijing, China.

Full Scholarship covers:

  • Tuition waiver
  • Accommodation: free university dormitory or accommodation subsidy
  • Stipend: CNY 2,500/month for undergraduate students and CNY 3,000/month for graduate students
  • Medical insurance against disease and accidents

The scholarship does not cover international airfare or the small fee charged by the University of Kansas Study Abroad Office. The SAO fee (approximately $1,120) covers KU foreign study enrollment fees, emergency medical evacuation and repatriation insurance, and KU orientation.

Eligibility Requirements

KU requirements:

  • Currently enrolled in a degree program, either undergraduate or graduate, at the University of Kansas
  • Completion (or completing) first-year Chinese. Preference will be given to applicants with two years of Chinese language training or more.
  • GPA of 3.25 or higher.
  • U.S. citizenship and not a native speaker of Chinese.

Chinese government requirements:

Successful applicants will be required to have

  • Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship (in Chinese or English)
  • Notarized highest diploma (photocopy)
  • Academic transcripts
  • A study plan or research proposal
  • Recommendation letters
  • Physical examination and complete a “Foreigner Physical Examination Form, which must be signed by a physician
  • Applicants under the age of 18 should submit the valid documents of their legal guardians in China

Application instructions:

Complete the attached application form and return with the following material to the Center for East Asian Studies, Room 200 Bailey Hall, by Feb. 15, 2017.

  1. Two letters of recommendation.
  2. A short essay outlining your study or research plan (At least 200 words for undergraduates; 400 words for graduate students.) Explain why you want to go to China to study language and culture. State specifically what you want to study and accomplish. Indicate how this year of study will fit into your undergraduate or graduate program and move you closer to your career goals.
  3. An official copy of your KU transcript. (A successful undergraduate applicant may be asked to submit an official high school transcript too, but it is not required for this application.)
  4. Fill out the Application Form.

Application deadline: February 15, 2017

Call or email
Jun Fu, 864-3857
Bailey 200

Quick Links

Follow us!

Apply for FLAS Scholarships!

FLAS (Foreign Language & Area Studies) Fellowships are available through CEAS for the study of Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Tibetan, and Uyghur. Learn more at Deadline for application is February 15. Find more information at 

East Asia Events

CEAS Affiliated Faculty

Home to 50+ departments, centers, and programs, the School of the Arts, and the School of Public Affairs and Administration
KU offers courses in 40 languages
No. 1 ranking in city management and urban policy —U.S. News and World Report
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.

CEAS Faculty Travel or
Development Funds Application

Apply Here

KU Today