The Confucius Institute Scholarship
Undergraduate and graduate students are invited to apply for a Confucius Institute Scholarship for the study of Chinese language and culture or pursue a Master’s degree in teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages in China during the 2017-2018 academic year. Full academic-year as well as one-semester scholarships are available. Application deadline: February 15, 2017.
This scholarship, administered by Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters in Beijing, covers basic expenses in China:
- A one-time resettlement subsidy that covers inter-city train transportation from point of international arrival to the university and back (￥1,500 for students who plan to study a full academic year; ￥1,000 for students who plan to study for one semester only)
- Tuition at the host university
- Learning materials
- Dormitory accommodations.
- ￥1,400 monthly for full academic year and single semester scholars
- ￥1,700 monthly for Master’s degree scholars
- Medical insurance against disease and accidents
* Check current exchange rate
The scholarship does not cover international airfare or the small fee charged by the University of Kansas Study Abroad Office. The SAO fee (please see SAO website for exact cost) covers KU foreign study enrollment fees, emergency medical evacuation and repatriation insurance, and KU orientation.
Eligibility Requirements (subject to change, pending official 2015 announcement)
- Current enrollment in a degree program, either undergraduate or graduate, at the University of Kansas
- Completion of (or completing) first-year Chinese. Preference will be given to applicants with two years of Chinese language training or more.
- A GPA of 3.25 or higher
- Non-native speaker of Chinese
- U.S. citizenship.
Chinese government requirements:
- Good health (Successful applicants will be required to have a physical examination and complete a “Foreigner Physical Examination Form“ which must be signed by a physician.)
- Undergraduates must be under the age of 25; M.A. students must be under 35; doctoral students must be under 40. Teachers of Chinese language applying for teacher training programs must be under 45.
- Recommendation from the Confucius Institute of the University of Kansas
Complete the attached Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Form and return with the following materials to the Center for East Asian Studies, Room 200 Bailey Hall, by February 15, 2017.
- 1. Two letters of recommendation.
- 2. A short essay in Chinese outlining your study or research plan (At least 200 words for undergraduates; 400 words for graduate students.) Explain why you want to go to China to study language and culture. State specifically what you want to study and accomplish. Indicate how this year of study will fit into your undergraduate or graduate program and move you closer to your career goals.
- 3. An official copy of your KU transcript. (A successful undergraduate applicant may be asked to submit an official high school transcript too, but it is not required for this application.)
- 4. HSK score or evaluation of your Chinese proficiency by a member of the Chinese language faculty at KU.
Questions? Call or email Jun Fu, 864-3857, email@example.com, Bailey 200