College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
  • Home
  • Academics
  • Overview

*This page contains information that only applies to students already admitted to and/or enrolled in the CEAS MA program. While we are no longer admitting students through the Center for East Asian Studies, the program will be moving to Global & International Studies MA degree as a concentration in East Asian Studies.*

Obtaining a degree with a focus in East Asia

The University of Kansas offers B.A., M.A., and Ph.D. degrees with East Asian content in numerous departments in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences as well as in professional schools. 

CEAS offers an M.A. in Contemporary East Asian Studies. B.A. and M.A. degrees in East Asian languages and literatures are offered through our Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures (EALC). B.A. degrees with an East Asian concentration can be earned in other departments, such as History. East Asian M.A. degrees are offered in Religious Studies and EALC and the Law School share a joint J.D.-M.A. program. A Ph.D. with an East Asian emphasis can be earned in 9 or more departments (Anthropology, Communications Studies, Economics, Geography, History, History of Art, Political Science, Sociology, and Film and Media Studies) and the School of Education.

Students interested in East Asia may want to consider the following options:

  • Look at options for a major, minor or graduate degree in East Asian Languages and Cultures. For graduate students, M.A. degrees in Contemporary East Asian Studies are offered by Center for East Asian Studies (CEAS).
  • Consider the many other academic programs that allow you to specialize in East Asia, particularly if you are pursuing a graduate degree. Talk to your academic advisor for more information. Departments and professional schools to look at for a wide variety of East Asia content and academic opportunities include Architecture, Anthropology, Business, Communications Studies, Economics, Education, Film and Media Studies, Geography, Global and International Studies, History, History of Art, Journalism and Mass Communications, Law, Political Science, Religious Studies, Sociology, Social Welfare, and Visual Art.
  • Take an East Asian language. Many academic programs have language requirements that can be met with the five East Asian Languages taught at KU: Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Tibetan, and Uyghur.
  • Take an East Asia course to fill academic requirements. Find more information about current courses here 

East Asia Events

During Spring 2022, there will be a mix of virtual and in-person events. Please check our events page & follow us on social media @KUEastAsia for updates. 


Apply Now

Connect with us:
Instagram Facebook  Twitter  

Apply for FLAS Scholarships!

FLAS Fellowships are available through CEAS for the study of Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Tibetan, and Uyghur. Learn more at Deadline for application is December 20. Find more information here.

CEAS Faculty Travel or Development Funds Application
Apply Here

CEAS Affiliated Faculty
CEAS Affiliated Faculty