A conventional M.A. program usually completed in 18 months to two years, depending on prior language training. This concentration can be used either for professional advancement or as preparation for a doctoral degree
To be considered for admission to the Master of Arts program in Contemporary East Asian Studies, students must meet the following criteria:
- Bachelor's of Arts or Bachelor's of Science degree or equivalent undergraduate degree from an accredited institution
- Minimum 3.0 grade-point average on a 4.0 scale. An applicant with less than a 3.0 GPA in their bachelor’s degree may still be considered for graduate study, but must be admitted provisionally.
- Recommended prerequisite: Proficiency in an East Asian language at the second level demonstrated by college coursework or testing.
- Fall semester application deadlines: May 1 (international students) and June 1 (domestic students)
- Spring semester application deadlines: October 1 (international students) and November 1 (domestic students)
Students are strongly encouraged to apply for the fall semester admission to take advantage of course sequences, but spring and summer admissions are possible with the approval of the CEAS director and graduate advisor. All materials must be received before applications can be evaluated. KU’s Graduate Studies page on How to Apply is a resource for application-related logistical questions. A complete application consists of the following:
- An online application submitted to Graduate Studies along with KU's graduate application fee ($65 domestic applicants, $85 international applicants
- One official transcript for all post-secondary education sent directly from your degree-granting institution. This includes additional graduate degrees.
- Three letters of recommendation submitted by your references, submitted electronically through KU's graduate application system. You may have your references mail hard copies if they choose, along with a signed copy of the Graduate Letter of Recommendation Form [PDF]
- A two-page statement of purpose explaining your educational and academic objectives
- A writing sample that demonstrates your writing skills and basic research capacity
- A current resume or C.V. (Curriculum Vita)
- English Proficiency: If an applicant is not a native speaker of English, they must verify their English proficiency. Please see Graduate Admissions' English Proficiency Requirements. (International applicants are not required to take the GRE)
Please note: though the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is not required for admission, it is recommended.
Applicants may submit their application, application fee, statement of interest, and resume through the application link above. GRE scores and TOEFL scores should be sent directly to KU using institution code 6871. Digital copies of transcripts may be emailed directly from the degree-granting institution to firstname.lastname@example.org. Official transcripts can also be mailed to the address below:
University of Kansas, Graduate Admissions
1450 Jayhawk Boulevard
Strong Hall, 313
Lawrence, KS 66045
For more information on the FAO M.A. programs, contact the Assistant Director of the Office of Graduate Military Programs, Randy Masten: email@example.com or 785-864-7455.